Mad Scientist Science Fiction Writing Contest 2019

Story Telling is a powerful tool that allows us to envision how innovative technologies could be employed and operationalized in the Future Operational Environment.  Mad Scientist is seeking your visions of future combat with our Science Fiction Writing Contest 2019.  Our deadline for submission is 1 APRIL 2019, so please review the contest details in the attached .pdf, get those creative writing juices flowing, and send your visions of combat in 2030 to us at: usarmy.jble.tradoc.mbx.army-mad-scientist@mail.mil.

• Palo.Alto
    Palo.Alto

I am Gina Cavallaro,  senior staff writer for Army Magazine and have a question about this contest. I'd like to include a note about it in our March issue.  I cannot seem to reach a human.  My email address is gcavallaro@ausa.org and my phone is 703-907-2613. Thank you!

• Excellent to see this back for 2019 and thanks for putting it out there with some time to write. Challange accepted...

• With Release Form attached to back of flyer!

• Great way to start 2019!  Will be working on a collaborative article with my military (USAF) folks here on ISR Indications & Warning in a contested envrionment for submission

• Palo.Alto
    Palo.Alto

Just discovered this. I notice that in past contests, the writing prompt was not mandatory. This year seems different though. Is writing to the prompt required?

• Yes, we are asking everyone to follow the writing prompt for this contest (click on the "Mad Scientist Sci Fi Writing Contest 2019 with Release Form.pdf" link above for contest details).  We look forward to reading your visions of Multi-Domain Operations against a near-peer adversary in 2030.  Thank you!  

• Palo.Alto
    Palo.Alto

Just to be clear, is this contest open to the general public?  Someone in the DoD told me about it.  

• This contest is open to anyone, anywhere on the planet!  Be sure to review the contest details listed in the "Mad Scientist Sci Fi Writing Contest 2019 with Release Form.pdf" file (click on the .html link, above) and submit your post NLT 1 APRIL 2019.  

• Palo.Alto
    Palo.Alto

Can’t wait For the next Mad Scientist!

• Palo.Alto
    Palo.Alto

Quick question on content parameters: are there any restrictions on profanity, “rough talk,” etc.? I’m a Marine officer and would like dialogue to sound realistic, e.g. in the way I know servicemembers talk when in the heat of the moment. But I understand there may be constraints as this may be read by the general public. I just want to know what the constraints are before getting too far along in writing!

• Sir/Ma'am, Mad Scientist looks forward to reading your submission!  That said, if your submission is selected for publication, we will have to remove any gratuitous profanity.  Best to limit your use of it.  Thank you for enquiring and Semper Fi!

• Just submitted a story, but I do not understand the release form.

It is for participation in audio/visual content and presentations, not an assignment or release of rights to written material. What would be the title of such a presentation? What are the PIN or PAN? The agreement also presupposes some kind of remuneration or compensation in recognition of the release which means the agreement would be invalid absent that remuneration. Finally, I don’t understand why my minor children are being made parties to this agreement.

Would you please clarify the purpose or reasoning behind this release? Is this the correct release for this context?

• Palo.Alto
    Palo.Alto

Help us know what the "PIN" and "PAN" are.

• Palo.Alto
    Palo.Alto

Echoing a comment already made.  What is required for the PIN / PAN on the release form.  Thanks.

• Palo.Alto
    Palo.Alto

We know we need to include a PIN and/or PAN, but we do not know what a PIN or PAN is or what the abbreviation stands for.